Skip to content

12 Comments

1. david
    December 25, 2010 @ 3:59 am

Do you think had you had a real fight with the 1989 version of Ray Leonard you beat him?

Remember Donny Lalonde was nailing him also and he found a way. The same with the 2nd Hearns fight. Had that gone 15 rounds. Same results

• dmightyman1
      December 25, 2010 @ 4:55 am

I WOULD HAVE BEAT THE 89 VERSION EASY.

2. DMIGHTY1
    December 24, 2010 @ 8:33 pm

david leonard was a winner he found away to win.I agree a slower Leonard when he fought Hagler.

3. david
    December 22, 2010 @ 12:13 am

I mean retired from 1982-1987. To me thats where he lost a lot of his skills, speed and snap and probably why he was reluctant to take on younger fighters like Michael Nunn and Mike McCallum.

4. david
    December 22, 2010 @ 12:10 am

You dont think it would have been that much of a difference. Ray at 147 is much quicker than the 1988 version. Hand and foot speed. His in and out movement was very quick and better stamina back then.

He also had more snap in his punches. Remember he was retired from 1982-1982. Even in the Hagler fight i thought he looked much slower than when he was at 147. The snap wasn’t the same.

Youtube some of his old fight, but the ones where he isnt champion yet. That snap on his shots. When he was older it was like he was pushing his punches. In that Hearns fight he looked so slow.

5. dmightyman1
    December 15, 2010 @ 6:03 pm

YeS I do agree a younger Ray Leonard would have been different. I really do not think that much of a difference.

6. david
    December 15, 2010 @ 4:47 am

Honestly in a real fight dont you think Ray would have probably fount you different and maybe boxed more. Also the 1989 version of SRL is so slow.

Much slower than the 1978 to 1982 version

7. dmighty1
    October 31, 2010 @ 10:19 pm

Ray punished me early as I said in the article mailnly because of fear and conditioning but once I got into better shape the rest was history. Yes at that point in Rays career he was easy to hit and I was hitting him at will. Like I said I was holding back.

8. Alan
    October 26, 2010 @ 3:30 pm

Wow,

9. Boxer
    October 25, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

Hey dude, Hearns smashed Sugar in this fight. Only reason it was draw is because Ray looked like he wanted it more in the 12th and the judges loved him. Hearns never looked good at the end of a fight. I never understood that part of his game. Was Ray that easy to hit when you spared him?

10. Hot Links 4: Darin Allen Spars Sugar Ray Leonard | High School Sports America
    October 25, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

[…] I had the boxing style and physique to fit the bill. The only problem was… Read the rest of  Sparring Sessions with Sugar Ray Leonard: How I made them say “What’s Wrong with Ray?&#8… Share this: Posted in Sports | Tags: boxing, darin allen, Hot Links, […]

11. Hot Links 4: Darin Allen Spars Sugar Ray Leonard «myHitNews.com
    October 25, 2010 @ 7:54 am

[…] I had the boxing style and physique to fit the bill. The only problem was… Read the rest of  Sparring Sessions with Sugar Ray Leonard: How I made them say “What’s Wrong with Ray?&#8… Share this: October 25th, 2010 | Tags: boxing, darin allen, hot links, sugar […]